Updated: Nov 9, 2022
Autism cases are being reported more and more due to their increased prevalence. The health
sectors are also paying more attention to this syndrome, which is great. Identifying autism is
difficult since there is no medical or blood test and the diagnosis relies on studying behaviour
Now let’s understand what autism is and how you can spot if your child is dealing with this
People with autism have difficulty building social relationships which is due to sensory issues.
They lack the desired interaction skills and find it hard to deliver their message. It is a
developmental disability and requires proper attention and treatment. Children and adults with
ASD show restricted or repetitive behaviours that interfere with their daily life activities. The
disease is most likely to develop in early childhood with a possibility of persistence. These
individuals also have difficulty with verbal and non-verbal communication.
Extreme sensitivities to lights, sounds, smells, and other stimuli are also common symptoms of
Symptoms of autism (ASD):
Mentioned below are the most prevalent symptoms of autism but do remember they can vary
widely from one person to another. Also, not every child having difficulty in social
communication has autism.
Slow language, movement & learning skills.
Delayed cognitive skills.
Hyperactive, impulsive, and inattentive behaviour.
Epilepsy or seizure disorder.
Unusual eating and sleeping habits.
Gastrointestinal issues (for example, constipation)
Unusual mood or emotional reactions.
Challenges in social communications:
These are some of the common examples of characteristics related to people suffering from
● Children do not show facial expressions or moods such as happy, angry, sad, or excited.
● They cannot figure it out or do not respond when someone gets hurt or is in pain. They
appear bland and emotionless.
● It is difficult for them to make eye contact and not respond till the age of 9 months.
● Such individuals do not share their feelings and interests with others (not even to close
● They are inclined to follow the same routines.
Apart from delayed cognitive development, such people also suffer from physical problems. It may include:
● They have very unusual sleep cycles and eating habits.
● They may also get epilepsy or seizures attacks
● Also diagnosed with digestive issues for example constipation
● Children's movement skills development is also delayed.
It is imperative to help children suffering from this order rather than piling pressure on them to
be the way you want them to be. It is necessary while dealing with such individuals to be patient and empathetic. They are special so treat them in a special manner that is compassionate and humble. It is hard, especially for the parents but with resilience and proper knowledge of the disorder you can help your children to be better in their lives.
But Project C foundation is here for you. We can guide you in every step to understand your child's behaviour. Our professional child psychologists can help you treat your child with utmost care with detailed information and treatment options.